What is a Sports Massage?
Sports massage is a form of massage involving the manipulation of soft tissue to benefit a person engaged in regular physical activity. Soft tissue is connective tissue that has not hardened into bone and cartilage; it includes skin, muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia (a form of connective tissue that lines and ensheathes the other soft tissues). Sports massage is designed to assist in correcting problems and imbalances in soft tissue that are caused from repetitive and strenuous physical activity and trauma.
What are the benefits?
- Increased range of motion
- Leading to enhanced performance
- Decreased muscle stiffness and soreness after exercise or physical activity
- Reduced recovery time post injury
- Increased levels of relaxation and reduction in physical and psychological stress level
- Enhances circulation
- Speeds healing of soft tissues injuries
- Improves sleep quality
- Improves mental alertness
- Boosts immune function
- Reduced tension in the muscles