What is a Pregnancy and Postnatal massage Therapy?
Pregnancy massage Therapy - also known as pre-natal massage - promotes relaxation and bonding, soothes nerves, and relieves a strained back and tired muscles in expectant mothers. Massage has been shown to ease pain and reduce anxiety in the first stage of labour It can help you to cope with contractions by making them feel less intense and more manageable which, in turn, can reduce labour time and pain relief required.
Benefits of Pregnancy Massage Therapy
- Muscular discomforts such as leg cramps, muscle stiffness, tension and knots – massage improves circulation and can therefore stimulate the flow of blood to these areas, easing discomfort.
- Muscular imbalance caused by postural changes – massage can help the lumbar region to regain balance and relieve discomfort.
- Sciatic pain during pregnancy can be caused by a tight buttock muscle – massage can help to relax this muscle and relieve the pain caused by the pinched nerve.
- Constipation regular abdominal massage will encourage your bowels to move.
- Headaches and sinus pain massage of the face, neck and shoulders can help to alleviate sinus pressure and headaches caused by tension.
- Swelling/oedema extra pressure your uterus places on your legs can lead to swelling in your feet and ankles. Massage can improve circulation and lymph flow to the affected areas, helping to reduce swelling.